Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Scream of Nature


“I was walking along the road with two friends.
The sun was setting.
I felt a breath of melancholy -
Suddenly the sky turned blood-red.
I stopped, and leaned against the railing, deathly tired -
looking out across the flaming clouds that hung like blood and a sword
over the blue-black fjord and town.
My friends walked on – I stood there, trembling with fear.
And I sensed a great, infinite scream pass through nature.”

This is one of several version of the painting “The Scream” (The Scream of Nature) painted by Edvard Munch in 1983.

I choose this painting above because it caught my attention and it show the reality about the darkness in our heart, shows the emotional pain he been through, and he could only express his feeling through painting. The artist talks about the setting sun that turned ablaze, as though visions of hell opened up from within another dimension trying to engulf him. He was in a state of vulnerability and confusion as fear drowned him into abyss.
This painting portrays a feeling of surreal pain and hardship which not only the artist, but each one of us might have had suffered.


No comments:

Post a Comment